SitRep: As you've read, my girlfriend and I have lived 3,000 miles apart for our entire dating life. We've made it work - quite well, I'd say. But, in about two weeks, everything will change. After her move, there will be no more ticking clock; plans no longer need to be made months in advance; we'll become a 'normal' couple. So called. If you consider true love normal.
I've never been one to think much further ahead than a day. Not in an irresponsible way (I hope). I've always just made it up as I went. But Sam has changed all that. Now I dream years in advance - about homes, about kids, about a life together. And knowing those dreams will come true has made me a very happy man.
How we get there, however, is still up in the air. Like her, I've never been in love like this. Never though I could be. She's turned that old Sinatra staple "Oh! Look at Me Now" into me at my most rain-soaked-Gene-Kelly-best. We're original reluctant romantics.
But as far as the rules of a relationship go, we're learning as much as we are paving, from the joys of planning menus and playlists to our own ground rules for career choices and family politics. Maybe we're breaking rules, maybe creating new ones... We don't know. That's what this blog is for, yeah?
No comments:
Post a Comment